qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [patch 2/2] QEMU BOCHS bios patches to use maxcpus valu

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [patch 2/2] QEMU BOCHS bios patches to use maxcpus value.
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 08:23:45 -0500

Avi Kivity wrote:
On 07/10/2009 12:57 AM, Anthony Liguori wrote:
These changes make my Ubuntu server guest very unhappy. I get a bunch of messages about "Not responding." on startup.

If nothing else, maxcpus ==smp_cpus under QEMU because we don't do CPU hotplug (and I don't think we should).

Why shouldn't we do cpu hotplug?

I don't think we should do cpu hotplug via ACPI. I don't think ACPI actually models CPU hotplug and the fact that this works with Linux in KVM is a happy accident. VMware only supports CPU hotplug for Windows 7/2k8 guests so I'm assuming their using Viridian PV extensions to do it.

I think we should go the PV route for Linux too. I'd rather see us create all vcpu threads at once and then let the guest offline each vcpu via a PV notification. I don't see a lot of value in spawning/terminating vcpu threads dynamically and it adds an awful lot of complexity. There's very little overhead to an idle thread.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori