qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] ARM multithreading status

From: Timo Suoranta
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] ARM multithreading status
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 10:34:51 +0300

Felipe Contreras wrote:
My problem is that my threading test code manages to create and join one
pthread, but the next pthread_create, while it starts a new thread, doesn't
return, and in fact the whole linux system is unable to start any new
processes until the test program ends.

I don't know if this helps, but I had a problem when joining a thread
in arm linux user, and this patch fixed it:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/qemu.git/commit/?id=c2764719914ff0c4d6c06adafea17629600f21ba

I'm using qemu-system-arm - so I guess the patch would not help.

I've simplified my test program - I could perhaps share a binary (or maybe even sources after some further cleanup) - in case someone could investigate this further. I've built it from the very same sources running 2.6.26-1 kernel on both x86 and qemu / arm.

Running on x86 Lenny in VMWare works.
Running on ARM (some real device) works.
Running on ARM Lenny in QEMU hangs.
Running on Android emulator works.

The android emulator is based on Qemu, but it uses different kernel.

I suspect there is something in the combination of QEMU and the kernel I'm using which makes multi threading go bad :/

--
timo