qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] KVMs default CPU type

From: Avi Kivity
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] KVMs default CPU type
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 11:29:15 +0300

On 06/25/2009 11:11 AM, Andre Przywara wrote:
I think we should go away from using qemu64 as a default for KVM. In my opinion we should target -cpu host as KVM's default, while in parallel create a -cpu migrate type (still fiddling with the CPUID details of that), which takes over the qemu64 role of being some kind of least common denominator. This should be a family 15 CPU (AMD K8 or Intel P4) with a constant vendor ID (in my experiments Intel showed less problems with guests). Since 64bit Windows has a whitelist of known vendor IDs (AMD, Intel on XP, additionally Via on Win7) we cannot use a bogus vendor, although this should impose the least problems.

-cpu host may have issues other than migration; for example if you upgrade your host processor guests will notice and perhaps trigger a revalidation. It also means every host offers something slightly different to guests, increasing the test matrix.