qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] accessing pci bios under qemu

From: Filka Michal
Subject: [Qemu-devel] accessing pci bios under qemu
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 11:22:59 +0200

Hi,

Firstly I would like to apologize. I have a problem with QEMU. I'm not
sure if it is more developer or user specific. However it is question on
QEMU's internals, so I'm asking for help here.

I need to run Pharlap OS in QEMU. I'm able to achieve it. The process
is:
1) Firstly, start FreeDOS in QEMU - it usually serves as a Pharlap
Loader when used on normal machines.
2) then load Pharlap OS from emulated FreeDOS
Everything works fine until now.

Problem is following:
I need to access PCI BIOS from Pharlap OS because I need to run network
card (particulary i82557b). The Pharlap OS uses set of functions for
accessing PCI BIOS. Problem is that it's not working well in QEMU. E.g.
If I look for device by class (NIC) function finds nothing. If I try to
search for device using Vendor (0x8086) and device id (0x1229) nothing
is found too.

Questions are: how is PCI BIOS emulated in QEMU? How can I query
emulated PCI BIOS? Can I use "DMA transfer" on emulated card?

Thanks for any help
Michal Filka