qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Anyone got qemu-system-ppc{,64} to boot anything?

From: Alexander Graf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Anyone got qemu-system-ppc{,64} to boot anything?
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 07:09:41 +0200

On 11.06.2009, at 22:21, Blue Swirl wrote:

On 6/11/09, Richard W.M. Jones <address@hidden> wrote:

The problem in the parent message was because I was using the wrong
CPU.  Although the binary is called 'qemu-system-ppc64', don't be
misled into thinking that means it'll emulate a 64 bit PowerPC
processor!  Oh no, you have to supply the extra '-cpu ppc64'
parameter.

Most of the '-M' options appear to be non-functional, segfaulting or
hanging or complaining about missing BIOS images.

I've had no more luck with 'qemu-system-ppc'.

So has _anyone_ got an example of qemu-system-ppc{,64} booting an OS
that they can share with us?

Debian 4.0 R6:
qemu-system-ppc64 -boot d -cdrom debian-40r6-powerpc-businesscard.iso
-M mac99 -usb -usbdevice keyboard -usbdevice mouse -cpu 970fx

Select 'install64'.

Gentoo 2008.0:
qemu-system-ppc64 -boot d -cdrom install-powerpc-minimal-2008.0.iso -M
mac99  -cpu 970fx -prom-env 'boot-device=cd:0,\boot\yaboot' -prom-env
'boot-args=conf=cd:0,\boot\yaboot.conf'

Select G5 (default).

Both above get to userspace, but they seem to hang soon.

Yes, PPC64 support is utterly broken atm.

For starters, Openbios needs to provide Linux with interrupt parent nodes, so Linux can find the interrupt controller responsible for the specific device. Right now it doesn't.

I hacked in some support for that but it also looks like the newworld PIC setup is not exactly ... sane. The ESCC is coupled to a dummy PIC that isn't even present in the system?

Also the mac99 target emulates the via-cuda ADB controller. As soon as CONFIG_PPC64 is set, Linux refuses to compile support for cuda in though, so you're stuck without keyboard + mouse.

It'd be awesome if someone could take on (some of) these issues. I only have limited time I can put into PPC and would love spending that on getting kvm running properly instead of fixing qemu.

Alex