qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: POLL: Why do you use kqemu?

From: Andreas Färber
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: POLL: Why do you use kqemu?
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2009 21:15:52 +0200

Am 06.06.2009 um 19:32 schrieb Jan Kiszka:

Blue Swirl wrote:
On 6/6/09, Jan Kiszka <address@hidden> wrote:
Blue Swirl wrote:
Maybe the backwards compatibility features should be ported to QEMU?
For example, is there a workaround for
#error Missing KVM capability KVM_CAP_DESTROY_MEMORY_REGION_WORKS
?

Given that we have always-up-to-date kvm-kmod packages with support down
to reasonable kernel versions, I would prefer to keep upstream clean
from old workarounds. They should only be needed for issues found very recently (KVM_CAP_JOIN_MEMORY_REGIONS_WORKS) or that might be found in
the future.

But then I (and from Andreas' message I gather that many others) can't
test KVM support on QEMU without building, installing and maintaining
(updating, rebuilding, reinstalling etc) my own kernel instead of the
distro build.

You don't have to, it builds against the distro kernel's devel package
(I'm doing most KVM development on boring distro kernels). No black
magic involved. Really.

Consider me Joe User in that aspect: I have a fairly recent amd64 Linux machine, with all the latest security, bugfix and enhancement updates installed.

$ uname -a
Linux redhead 2.6.27.24-170.2.68.fc10.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed May 20 22:47:23 EDT 2009 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
$ ./configure
[...]
#error Missing KVM capability KVM_CAP_DESTROY_MEMORY_REGION_WORKS

A package search for kvm results in kvm-74-10.fc10 being installed (plus another one with ROMs). There is no additional kvm-kmod package offered that I could install. What should I do?

I could try qemu-kvm.git, yes, but for one thing Anthony has been insistant that patches be made against upstream qemu.git and for another it makes me dependent on someone merging KVM-unrelated commits (like sparc) into qemu-kvm.git, so it doesn't sound like a longterm solution.

This is not about me, it's about the average user that might or might not use kqemu and wants to use KVM on Linux. qemu.git's configure just blocks them. Not just now, where Fedora 11 is four days away, it's been similar on Fedora 9 and throughout Fedora 10, as indicated earlier.

There are at least two solutions:

i) Make configure hint users what to do. (README just references qemu- doc.html, which is not yet built and doesn't contain anything helpful here anyway.) Other options are even less verbose though (e.g. Documentation). Building a new kernel or kernel module is not always an option.

ii) Merge the apparently existant workarounds upstream. I thought this was the overall plan anyway? Has this changed, like the original plan of Glauber's kqemu-friendly qemu-accel abstraction?

Sourceforge (the KVM download link) appears to be down currently btw. Savannah is not the only one with problems, it seems.

Andreas