qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] POLL: Why do you use kqemu?

From: Andreas Färber
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] POLL: Why do you use kqemu?
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2009 15:27:05 +0200

Am 03.06.2009 um 23:57 schrieb Anthony Liguori:

I'm curious to know who all out there is using kqemu and why they are
using it.  Please take a moment to fill out the following poll if you
use kqemu. Having actual data as to why people are using kqemu may help
figure out the best way to replace it in the future.

http://www.micropoll.com/akira/mpview/604126-172373

Thanks for this move. Some flaws have already been pointed out - the above poll doesn't allow multiple choices and focuses on the why from a platform/hardware viewpoint.

Since you are looking for comments from users, did you post this on users' lists or forums as well?

While polls never get feedback from everybody, one group you are unlikely to reach this way is those users that don't care what kernel modules may be installed for them, as long as they work, on machines they don't have priviledges on. They'll simply notice the performance difference once it's gone. And I doubt all the admins will be reading the development lists of the hundreds of packages coming with the full installation on their systems.

Or as another example, I've been unable to try KVM with svn/git QEMU because new capability defines keep being added that block compiling QEMU with KVM from any mainstream distribution. With nobody here being able to recommend a working distribution, that makes KVM a moot alternative, especially on systems you can't install your own kernel modules on. I just hope that Fedora 11 will let me try it.

Andreas