qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Killing KQEMU

From: Chris Frey
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Killing KQEMU
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 23:52:17 -0400

Hi,

I feel that I should post here, for the simple reason that most QEMU
users likely don't read this list, and have no idea that developers are
striving to kill off a valued feature.

This is a very valuable feature to me, as one of those users, and I find
it sad to read the eagerness some have at getting rid of it.  Not everyone
has access to the most modern hardware.  And not all hardware is worth
throwing out just because it doesn't have a CPU capable of virtualization.

I read excuses such as "it's not documented" and "nobody understands it"
and "there's no maintainer", but in a project such as QEMU, that is nearly
500,000 lines of code, the KQEMU kernel module clocks in, for linux,
at a whopping 674 lines.

I find it hard to believe that these 674 lines of code are too much for
the substantial braintrust available on this list.

Wasn't KQEMU written in the first place to be small, auditable, and
secure?  What has changed that it is now such a burden?

Thanks,
- Chris