qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [7234] Use a more natural order

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [7234] Use a more natural order
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 16:15:06 -0500

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 03:03:54PM -0500, Anthony Liguori wrote:
I was obviously referring to posting to the mailing list. I have a set of compilation and unit tests that get run before every commit.

There are a lot of possible configuration options for QEMU. Sometimes the build breaks for some combination of configuration options and this is a difficult thing to address in a robust way. With a patch series, my scripts run through what I consider the most common set of configurations for each patch. Right now, it usually takes a good 30 minutes to go through a large series just to compile test with my default configurations.

Isn't there a configure option for building for all available targets?

Building all targets is easy. It's the various combinations of other options that get you. It's building for Linux, win32, x86, PPC, with AIO, without AIO, with KVM, without KVM, etc.

It might take 30 minutes, but it saves large amounts of time for everyone
else later.  Also I would hope make is smart enough to only recompile
the bits that changed, so that shouldn't take as long.

A great deal of our objects are target specific. Almost everything depends on CONFIG_USER_ONLY too. This means that full compilation takes a very long time.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori