qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Changing the QEMU svn VERSION string

From: Andreas Färber
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Changing the QEMU svn VERSION string
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 23:10:50 +0200

Am 07.04.2009 um 18:29 schrieb M. Warner Losh:

In message: <address@hidden>
           Andreas_Färber <address@hidden> writes:
: Hi,
:
: On the topic of QEMU help output, it still reads:
: Copyright (c) 2003-2008 Fabrice Bellard
:
: Since the code was last modified in 2009, I feel that should be
: reflected in some copyright statement.
[...]
What purpose is this copyright notice?  Is it to notify users of the
collection copyright (eg, the gluing together of everything)?

From my POV, its main purpose is indicating to the casual user the time span the software was developed in (rather than the date of compilation).

In my country, there is no "copyright" and I do own the IPR to my patches independently of such a notice. I believe the copyright notice may have more significance in the US but IANAL.

Andreas

In that
case, the above is fine.  If it is supposed to be for everybody's
individual contributions, then none of the above are sufficient (or
required).  However, it likely would be good to include a contributors
page.  I haven't reviewed all the licenses in all the files in the
system, but it never hurts to have a file that acknowledges all the
copyrights in a central place.

Unlike trademarks, you can't say "Copyright by a bunch of folks"
That's not valid copyright notice, and that's what the "and
contributors" does....

My recommendation would be to go with the second form.

Warner