qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Introduce module API to QEMU

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Introduce module API to QEMU
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2009 13:05:06 -0500

M. Warner Losh wrote:
In message: <address@hidden>
            Anthony Liguori <address@hidden> writes:
: malc wrote:
: > You are using _identifier_ whose name violates 7.1.3, full stop, you
: > can not do that in _any_ context.
: > : : So then we cannot use __func__ either or __attribute__ by your logic.

No.  That's not true.  Those are defined by the standard or by the
implementation.  he's objecting to your using an identifier that
starts with __ when really, there's no reason to do that.

The identifier is defined by the *implementation*.  That's the whole point.

When you use the __attribute__((section,"FOO")), it forces the variable to be in section FOO. For all sections, the linker (IOW the *implementation*) creates two variables named __start_SECTION and __stop_SECTION. In this case, it's __start_FOO and __stop_FOO.

You have to *declare* this variable yourself because the linker is not the frontend and the frontend doesn't know about these variables. The linker is what *defines* these variables.

It doesn't matter because I've switched to __attribute__((constructor)), but this is not a violation of the standard. You cannot rename these variables because you have no control over the definition. They are there whether you like them or not.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Warner