qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: branches are expensive

From: Avi Kivity
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: branches are expensive
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 12:52:41 +0200

Steffen Liebergeld wrote:
I've tested Qemu 0.10.0 and with i386-softmmu on a i386 host I get the
following numbers:
direct jump count 70%, 2 jumps 54%

For qemu-system-arm on an ARM host, the numbers look like this:
direct jump count 47%, 2 jumps 40%

For completeness I tested qemu-system-arm on a i386 host as well:
direct jump count 44%, 2 jumps 37%

So it looks like the chaining on ARM targets is not as effective as on i386
targets (regardless of the guest, I used the same guest setup, compiled for
different architectures, on all tests). Do you have any ideas why this is the
case?

I'd guess that predicated instructions are heavily used on ARM for if/else sequences, so intra-page branches would be less frequent.