qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: testing qemu svn r6636 on FreeBSD; future of qemu on Fr

From: Juergen Lock
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: testing qemu svn r6636 on FreeBSD; future of qemu on FreeBSD...
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 18:15:20 +0100

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 08:15:50PM +0100, Gary Jennejohn wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 22:19:33 +0100
> Juergen Lock <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > You could try a few things:
> > a) the same with kqemu (userland), in case its a tcg bug (or indeed a
> >    timeout; remember to rebuild qemu in case you built it without the
> >    kqemu knob enabled or otherwise kqemu won't get used), and also
> > b) another time with -kernel-kqemu in case its a tcg bug affecting
> >    guest kernel code (altho of course in both cases kqemu can cause its
> >    own kind of failures, even more so with amd64 guests...)
> >

> Neither of these work.  The only way I can get past loading the kernel
> is with -no-kqemu.
>
> I still see the segmentation fault in Yast.call.  Now I know that it's
> in line 486, if that's of any interest.
>
> Sorry, I'm not going to invest any more time in this.

Thanx.  Can someone else verify that kqemu still works on FreeBSD-current?
It is possible that you got hit by the kqemu tsc vs smp problem, i.e.
passing `notsc' to the guest kernel or forcing qemu onto one cpu
(cpuset -l 0 qemu ...) may have helped there, sorry I should have thought
of that earlier...

 Also, did I get that right that this opensuse 10.3 install worked with
the original qemu-devel port (without kqemu)?  So we do seem to have a
regression here...  (thats a 20080620 qemu svn snapshot, for the folks
on the qemu list.)

 Thanx,
        Juergen