qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Monitor Memory Accesses

From: Laurent Desnogues
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Monitor Memory Accesses
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 14:26:19 +0100

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 2:17 PM, Andrea Pellegrini
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Thanks for the quick reply!
>
> I obtain the instruction addresses through the function
> static TranslationBlock *tb_find_slow(target_ulong pc,
>                                     target_ulong cs_base,
>                                     uint64_t flags)

> // Andrea, let's check the pc
>   printf("PC: 0x%x\n", pc);
>
> in cpu_exec.c. So far it worked but maybe there is a better way to do it.

No, it doesn't work.  Try to track the PC of a loop and you'll see
what I mean.

You should start by learning what is run-time code generation ;)

> Where can I find more informations about the "helper"?
> I'm just starting working with Qemu so I'm still not 100% sure about what is
> going on.  :-P

The documentation is the source.  It's not easy to enter, but once
you've understood the basic inner-workings, doing what you're
after should not be very difficult.

> I searched in target-i386/translate.c for
> tcg_gen_qemu_ld
> or
> tcg_gen_qemu_lst
> and nothing pops up. Am I looking at the right thing?

I talked about tcg_gen_qemu_ld*.

Just to make it clear, I am talking of svn version of qemu.  If you're
using 0.9.1 then it's a completely different story, and I invite you to
take a look at Vince Weaver's work:

http://www.csl.cornell.edu/~vince/projects/qemusim/
http://www.csl.cornell.edu/~vince/projects/qemu-trace/

Laurent