qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Cutting a new QEMU release

From: Andreas Färber
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Cutting a new QEMU release
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 20:14:33 +0100

Am 15.02.2009 um 16:44 schrieb Jamie Lokier:

Andreas Färber wrote:
There has been no rumor of any KVM port to Solaris. Linux kernel
integration cannot be the only criteria.

Does Solaris not have their own equivalent to KVM, for running VMs?

Sun has xVM (based on Xen) with virt-manager UI. But it didn't run, e.g., Haiku and doesn't help with non-native (sparc-/ppc-softmmu) emulation either. I'm not looking for a virtualization technology on Solaris but for a platform suited for my uses of QEMU emulation (and that box was pretty fast :).

However unsupported, QEMU+kqemu on OpenSolaris/amd64 is much faster than unaccelerated QEMU on OSX/ppc!

And trying to set up any KVM guest in Fedora was a pain. Haven't tried the new KVM integration in QEMU trunk yet. Maybe kqemu really has a bad kernel interface, but it's simple to set up and fits the needs of my use cases:

- booting existing hard disk images without one-time booting from an ISO image first (virt-manager seems to require the latter) - storing the image files anywhere I like, including my home dir (SELinux messes with that on Fedora 10) - starting the VM from an unpriviledged user, preferably from a shell script

Andreas