qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Cutting a new QEMU release

From: Jamie Lokier
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Cutting a new QEMU release
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2009 15:36:12 +0000

Stefan Weil wrote:
> The kvm kernel module could be a good replacement for kqemu
> for those running linux on new cpus.

It's not yet, though.  kvm doesn't run 16-bit code properly.
I use kqemu to run older OSes, and kvm to run current ones.

I like the idea of a "kvm-soft", which is basically kqemu with a kvm
interface.  It would need a few extensions on the kvm interface, of
course.

Another potential use for _part_ of kqemu, or kvm-soft, is emulating
other CPUs with host kernel support for the memory map, instead of
full software TLB.  That might be a performance accelerator for
emulation, for some combinations of host and target CPUs where it's
feasible to map the memory in that way.

If kqemu were evolved into an accelerator for cross-CPU emulation in
that way, then its current use as an x86-on-x86 accelerator would just
be a special case of that.

-- Jamie