qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Cutting a new QEMU release

From: René Rebe
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Cutting a new QEMU release
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2009 22:47:25 +0100

Anthony Liguori wrote:
René Rebe wrote:

Hi,

Indeed. Though I used KVM for the past months to do Linux development
and system testing / integration I had a use case for kqemu (non-VT CPU)
just this week and was surprised to find quite "old" kqemu release just build and work for booth 2.6.26 and 2.6.28. And so far there was no problem with
it.

While I have no problem having it long time ported to the KVM interface,
just declaring some quite useful and functional piece of open source work
obsolete and unsupported quite drastic. This work should be not be lost
so easily.

I think you misunderstand. Noone is claiming that kqemu is no longer being supported. Quite rather, we're simply stating it's never been supported.

It started as a binary kernel module, impossible to support within the QEMU community. While Fabrice has open sourced kqemu, it's never been included in QEMU. It's not maintained by the current QEMU maintainers and not supported by the current QEMU maintainers.

I know about the history pretty well.

Btw. is Farbrice still actively working on Qemu related code these
days?

It's essentially a separate project.

Well - depends. The user-space part always was in Qemu, but the
kernel module apparently is a little left aside. However, this
should not stop us from improving the situation instead of letting
it bitrott.