qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] wfi in qemu-system-arm (v6) on a Mac host locks up qemu

From: Steve Lemke
Subject: [Qemu-devel] wfi in qemu-system-arm (v6) on a Mac host locks up qemu
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 05:44:02 -0800

Is anyone running an ARM v6 kernel in qemu-system-arm on a Mac built from recent qemu trunk?

When the target issues a "wfi" (wait for interrupt) instruction, the select timeout gets set to 5000 which appears to cause the entire app to block in select for 5 seconds at a time and Mac OS doesn't seem to be too thrilled about that.

It looks like changing HELPER(wfi) in op_helper.c to simply call cpu_loop_exit() without setting env->exception_index or env_halted appears to fix it, (essentially attempting to handle it more like a NOP, I suppose) though I'm not sure that's the best "fix".

(I suppose using a v4 or v5 kernel would probably work as well if that happens to be an available option...)

Paul pointed me to the recent (related) "Fix nographic mode and VNC" thread, but that thread didn't seem to actually end in a solution.

Has anyone thought about this any more?

--Steve