qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] virtio_blk unique device ID

From: Jule Slootbeek
Subject: [Qemu-devel] virtio_blk unique device ID
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 17:00:11 -0500

All,
I was recently testing the workings of virtio to provision SAN block devices to a domain, which worked great! However, i could not find a way to find the UID of a virto_blk device. The scenario I had created was the following. a LUN provisioned to my KVM (kvm-83) hypervisor over two paths, both paths mapped to my domain using virtio_blk. When configuring multipath-tools in the domain I could not find a way to find the UID of the LUN in order to create the multipath config. On a SCSI device, I would use the /lib/udev/scsi_id tools to discover this ID. I am using libvir/qemu 0.5.1 in Ubuntu Jaunty Alpha-3 as hypervisor and virtual machine.
Does the virtio_blk driver provide a UID to its devices, and is there a way to get this ID in userspace?

kind regards,