qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: Extremely slow graphic updates

From: Lennart Sorensen
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: Extremely slow graphic updates
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 09:45:18 -0500

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 11:22:30AM +0000, Stefano Stabellini wrote:
> We are not doing anything that dumb (anything that I am aware of :)

Could it be that it is trying to use shared video ram even in cases
where that is a very bad idea?

> What is the quickest way for me to reproduce this problem?
> Have you seen this on ppc emulation only?

Boot qemu-system-ppc with default options.  I use debian lenny (2.6.26
kernel).  I think it runs 800x600 resolution by default.

> I gather that the guest is in text mode. Have you seen this in graphical
> mode too? If yes, what was the resolution of the guest?

I have only run in graphics mode.  I don't have my image setup for text
mode.  However VNC mode is NOT slow.  Of course VNC would not be using
shared memory remotely.

> What is the resolution of your host? What X11 extensions are you using?
> Do you set SDL_VIDEODRIVER anywhere?

Nope.  My xorg.conf doesn't list any extensions, so whatever the
defaults are.  I can check.

> Sorry for the list of questions, I am just trying to better understand
> the issue.

Worth asking.

--
Len Sorensen