qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: Multiple monitor terminals

From: Jan Kiszka
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: Multiple monitor terminals
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 14:00:24 +0100

Jan Kiszka wrote:
> Hi,
>
> trying to re-animate Jason Wessel's nice monitor-pass-through patches
> for the gdbstub that we carry in our tree, I'm currently a bit lost in
> the monitor mux design. Why do we need multiple monitor terminal devices
> at the moment? And why are they all receiving the same output? What
> would be a scenario for more than one monitor_hd != NULL?

To answer myself: The idea seems to be allowing to mux the monitor on
other character devices, be it one or more, be there also a dedicated
monitor terminal at the same time. But I still wonder if it is a
desirable behavior to have this broadcasting of typed commands and their
replies. Thinking more about this now.

> Jason once suggested to define a focus when issuing a new command and
> send all related replies only back to this focused terminal. I think
> this would fit quite well for most use cases, specifically when adding
> another monitor channel via remote gdb. Just migration raises some
> concerns ATM. But as I may oversee more issues while trying to apply
> this focus concept also on the existing monitor terminals, I'd like to
> get some feedback on this approach first.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Jan

Jan