qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Multiple monitor terminals

From: Jan Kiszka
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Multiple monitor terminals
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 11:32:51 +0100

Hi,

trying to re-animate Jason Wessel's nice monitor-pass-through patches
for the gdbstub that we carry in our tree, I'm currently a bit lost in
the monitor mux design. Why do we need multiple monitor terminal devices
at the moment? And why are they all receiving the same output? What
would be a scenario for more than one monitor_hd != NULL?

Jason once suggested to define a focus when issuing a new command and
send all related replies only back to this focused terminal. I think
this would fit quite well for most use cases, specifically when adding
another monitor channel via remote gdb. Just migration raises some
concerns ATM. But as I may oversee more issues while trying to apply
this focus concept also on the existing monitor terminals, I'd like to
get some feedback on this approach first.

Thanks in advance,
Jan