qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] 2nd serial port by default

From: Paul Brook
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] 2nd serial port by default
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 12:26:40 +0000

On Sunday 07 December 2008, Hervé Poussineau wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Most computers have 0 or 2 serial ports, but Qemu only allocates one by
> default.
> Attached patch defines 2 serial ports by default, instead of one.
> Previous behaviour can be done with "-serial vc:80Cx24C -serial none"
> argument.
>
> Please comment

I'm not sure where you're getting "most" from, or your justification for this
change.

A quick survey here indicates that most workstation/server class hardware has
a single accessible serial port, and embedded boards commonly have 3 or 4.

In practice I'd expect that by far the most common use for serial ports is a
serial console, and one is more than sufficient for that. If you want to do
anything else then you're probably going to need special -serial options
anyway.

Paul