qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Live migration - exec: support to be reintroduced?

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Live migration - exec: support to be reintroduced?
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2008 08:09:56 -0600

Chris Lalancette wrote:
Anthony Liguori wrote:
Charles Duffy wrote:
Howdy.

KVM's live migration support used to support an exec: protoco, allowing either a completely arbitrary transport or a mechanism for storing system state to a separate file for later resurrection, being used in the latter by libvirt's qemu driver. I notice that this support no longer exists in the current codebase.
Would a patch reimplementing this support be welcome?
Absolutely. I wasn't aware that libvirt used the exec: protocol. I'm somewhat surprised by that. What did it use it for?

Hm, I didn't realize it used it either, but it uses it for doing a save
operation:

static int qemudDomainSave(virDomainPtr dom,
                           const char *path) {
    if (asprintf (&command, "migrate \"exec:"
                  "dd of='%s' oflag=append conv=notrunc 2>/dev/null"
                  "\"", safe_path) == -1) {
        qemudReportError(dom->conn, dom, NULL, VIR_ERR_OPERATION_FAILED,
                         "%s", _("out of memory"));
        VIR_FREE(safe_path);
        return -1;
    }
    free(safe_path);

    if (qemudMonitorCommand(driver, vm, command, &info) < 0) {

I don't know if there is a better way to do that with the qemu monitor, to avoid
 using migrate altogether.  In any case, I'm sure other people would find exec:
useful as well.

Sure.  It would make sense for it to use file: instead of exec: though.

However, why is it not just using savevm? Saving the CPU state in the absence of checkpointing storage doesn't make a lot of sense.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori