qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] release date of qemu 0.9.2?

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] release date of qemu 0.9.2?
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 09:51:31 -0500

Thiemo Seufer wrote:
Anthony Liguori wrote:
C.W. Betts wrote:

When will qemu be given the status of 0.9.2? I was browsing the source code of the Qemu that ships with OpenSuSE and noticed that there are a lot of patches. It would probably be helpful if there was a release that didn't depend on GCC 4.

Also, what targets still depend on dyngen? And is anyone working on porting them to TCG?
A lot of previously supported hosts are no longer supported with TCG. I would think adding those hosts would be more important than completing the TCG conversion before cutting a new release.

I disagree. The most important hosts are supported, the other hosts
were largely experimental anyway, and getting rid of dyngen / gcc3
is IMHO worth a release.

Personally, I'd like to see much more frequent releases (every 3-6 months). I'm okay with not having complete features (like the dyngen->TCG conversion) or host regressions because I think there's value in having releases regularly compared to feature based releases.

What do other people think?  I'd be willing to do the leg work of releases.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Thiemo