qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: [RFC] Disk integrity in QEMU

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: [RFC] Disk integrity in QEMU
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 13:43:14 -0500

Ryan Harper wrote:
* Anthony Liguori <address@hidden> [2008-10-09 12:00]:
Read performance should be unaffected by using O_DSYNC. O_DIRECT will significantly reduce read performance. I think we should use O_DSYNC by default and I have sent out a patch that contains that. We will follow up with benchmarks to demonstrate this.

With 16k writes I think we hit a pathological case with the particular storage backend we're using since it has many disks and the volume is striped. Also the results a bit different when going through a file system verses a LVM partition (the later being the first data set). Presumably, this is because even with no flags, writes happen synchronously to a LVM partition.

Also, cache=off seems to do pretty terribly when operating on an ext3 file. I suspect this has to do with how ext3 implements O_DIRECT.

However, the data demonstrates pretty nicely that O_DSYNC gives you native write speed, but accelerated read speed which I think we agree is the desirable behavior. cache=off never seems to outperform cache=wt which is another good argument for it being the default over cache=off.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori