qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu svn r5281 on FreeBSD - slow usb, vmwarevga, screen

From: Juergen Lock
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu svn r5281 on FreeBSD - slow usb, vmwarevga, screen updates...
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 23:52:46 +0200 (CEST)

In article <address@hidden> you write:
>Juergen Lock wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>>  I've been playing with qemu svn on FreeBSD again (new experimental
>> emulators/qemu-devel port update here:
>>      http://people.freebsd.org/~nox/qemu/qemu-devel-20080921.patch
>> ), and want to note a few things:
>>

>Are all of these things regressions and if so, have you bisected?

The screen update thing probably is (at least I don't remember seeing it
before), slow usb certainly, -vmwarevga I'm not so sure.  The slow usb
I've now found starts with r5050, before (r5049 and earlier) I get ~500 KB/s
with emulated disk: and net: and ~1 MB/s host: (a cardreader) in this guest,
and with r5050 and after 30-40 KB/s with disk: and net: and ~230 KB/s from
the cardreader (actually with r5050 I only got disk: working, this was
fixed in r5070.)  I also since found out that not all guests are affected,
a FreeBSD 7.1-BETA-i386-livefs.iso gets normal throughput with the current
code, actually even more that the Linux guests before r5050 (about 2 MB/s
from disk: and 1.4 MB/s from the cardreader, net: didnt get packets thru
at least with the default settings, looks like it doesn't get detected
properly:

..
cdce0: <QEMU RNDIS/QEMU USB Network Device, class 2/0, rev 2.00/0.00, addr 2>
on uhub0
cdce0: could not find data bulk in
device_attach: cdce0 attach returned 6
cdce0: <QEMU RNDIS/QEMU USB Network Device, class 2/0, rev 2.00/0.00, addr 2>
on uhub0
cdce0: faking MAC address
cdce0: WARNING: using obsoleted IFF_NEEDSGIANT flag
cdce0: bpf attached
cdce0: Ethernet address: 2a:00:00:00:00:00

 I also found another problem with usb: looks like when usb_add adds a
device as Device 0.0, Linux guests don't detect it, so sometimes while
testing I had to add devices multiple times.

 And, I found an issue with the new compatfd code on FreeBSD 6.3, looks
like the default threading libs on there (libkse) cause signals to be
delivered to the wrong thread at least when running with kqemu, forcing
libthr to be used instead (the new threading lib) seemed to fix that issue.

 More later...
        Juergen