qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Bug with TARGET_PHYS_ADDR_SPACE_BITS

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Bug with TARGET_PHYS_ADDR_SPACE_BITS
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2008 21:16:23 -0500

Chris Lalancette wrote:
Aurelien Jarno wrote:
On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 07:46:50PM +0200, Chris Lalancette wrote:
Hello,
     oVirt is currently using straight x86_64 qemu emulation for certain parts
of the architecture (we mostly use KVM, but need to use full emulation for a
couple of parts).  We recently upgraded our userspace package to kvm-72, but
found that we could not PXE boot guests when we were doing full emulation (under
kvm, we could PXE boot just fine).  We also tried using qemu SVN tip, with
similar results.  We ended up doing a bisect, and tracked down the problem to
this commit (from the kvm repo, but pulled from qemu):

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/amit/kvm-userspace.git;a=commit;h=468f7507339a5236bff8ab339eb0c1b019a95fda

The important changes in there in terms of this bug revolves around
TARGET_PHYS_ADDR_SPACE_BITS in exec.c.  If I change that back to 32 (what it was
before this patch for x86_64), the PXE boot succeeds.  Also, if I remove
TARGET_PHYS_ADDR_SPACE_BITS > 32 conditional code in phys_page_find_alloc(), but
leave TARGET_PHYS_ADDR_SPACE_BITS as 42, the PXE boot also works.  I can't claim
to understand the conditional code I've compiled out, so I'm not sure where the
bug would be.  Does anyone have an idea what the problem might be?

Sorry for the delay in responding.

Are you using qemu or qemu-system-x86_64? Could you also build qemu with
--disable-kqemu? It possible that kqemu support is causing this problem,
as it is limited to 32 bits.

I'm not sure what the difference between qemu and qemu-system-x86_64 is.  Can
you explain?  I've been testing with qemu-system-x86_64, for what it's worth.

qemu is really qemu-system-i386 just unfortunately named. This define will differ in the qemu vs qemu-system-x86_64 binaries.

Has there been any resolution here?

Regards,

Anthony Liguori