qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qcow2 - safe on kill? safe on power fail?

From: Avi Kivity
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qcow2 - safe on kill? safe on power fail?
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 09:07:34 +0300

Anthony Liguori wrote:
Andreas Schwab wrote:
Anthony Liguori <address@hidden> writes:

The only ways that you can cause corruption is if the QCOW2 sector
allocation code is faulty (and you would be screwed no matter what here)
or if you issue a SIGTERM/SIGKILL that interrupts the code while it's
allocating a new sector.

Blocking SIGTERM until the allocation is finished could close that hole.

Seems like a band-aid to me as SIGKILL is still an issue. Plus it would involve modifying all disk formats, not just QCOW2. I'd rather see proper journal support added to QCOW2 myself.

Journalling is so out of fashion. It's better to sequence the operations so that failure results in a leak instead of corruption.

signature is too narrow to contain.