qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu X3100 project

From: Vincent Hanquez
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu X3100 project
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 15:54:23 +0100

On Wed, Jul 02, 2008 at 02:13:35PM +0300, Alexey Eremenko wrote:
> That's very interesting undertaking indeed.
>
> I always dreamt of playing 3D games in VMs. And I hope, that with the
> help of your project, in may become a reality.
>
> I don't know if it's possible to achieve good performance with
> emulated 3D hardware - to the point where 3D games would run.

I can't predict about performance. I can't even predict about
the total feasibility to be honest.

Performance depends on how the 3d operations can be offloaded to actual
3d chips. for example, having a "translator" from the intel 3d operation
to OpenGL. or maybe something more feasible, to Gallium.

I'll open a public git repository based on my private one if people are
interested in working on the card emulation. however people should not
expect to be end-user (or testing) material anytime soon. not that i
want to scare people off ;)

Cheers,
--
Vincent