qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU configuration files

From: Paul Brook
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU configuration files
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 01:01:24 +0100

[I apparently missed out a paragraph from my first mail, so the paragraph
quoted below didn't make a whole lot of sense.]

One issue is whether/how much it's desirable to decouple the emulated hardware
configuration from the host interface configuration. e.g. should we always
create N serial ports, regardless of how many -serial options are specified.

> This is maybe slightly different between emulating embedded boards and
> workstation/server class machines. For workstation/server emulation it's
> entirely reasonable to arbitrarily add/remove serial and network devices
> from a "PC" machine based on the user config. For embedded SoC devices you
> tend to want to emulate a fixed number of devices (matching those present
> on real hardware) and leave them present but disconnected if the user does
> not specify appropriate net/serial options.

Paul