qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] OpenGL in qemu

From: Paul Brook
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] OpenGL in qemu
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 18:19:22 +0100

> 3. Have qemu dynamically locate and link to the host's opengl system.

This is fairly trivial, and what most applications do.

> Finally, I also found the vmgl project which is only linux<->linux, but
> seems interesting.

It should work on windows with very little modification. The problem is that
very few windows applications use OpenGL.

Getiing basic OpenGL working is fairly easy. The tricky bits are:

- Multiple contexts.
- Window manager integration, and cliprects.
- OpenGL extensions, particularly if you're going to be migrating between
different hosts..

You may want to take a look at gallium[1].  I expect that will provide a
better medium term solution than opengl, especially if you care about
windows/Direct3D.

[1] http://www.tungstengraphics.com/wiki/index.php/Gallium3D

Paul