qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: [RFC] linuxboot Option ROM for Linux kernel booting

From: Nguyen Anh Quynh
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: [RFC] linuxboot Option ROM for Linux kernel booting
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 22:49:34 +0900

On 4/23/08, H. Peter Anvin <address@hidden> wrote:
> Nguyen Anh Quynh wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am thinking about comibing this ROM with the extboot. Both two ROM
> > are about "booting", so I think that is reasonable. So we will have
> > only 1 ROM that supports both external boot and Linux boot.
> >
> > Is that desirable or not?
> >

>  Does it make the code simpler and easier to understand?  If not, then I
> would say no.

Actually no. I must say that it looks ugly to me.

The fact is that linuxboot ROM and extboot ROM are about different
things, and they only share a bit in that they both intercept int 19.

I very much like the the Unix principal, that is "Does one thing, and
does it well", so I prefer to have 2 independent ROM: one to boot
Linux, and one to do external boot. I see no problem that we have more
than one ROM, and these two can be independently loaded into the
memory.

So I think I agree with Peter here.

Thanks,