qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Connecting Issues with Qemu-0.9.0 and the TAP Device on Win

From: Me, Myself and I
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Connecting Issues with Qemu-0.9.0 and the TAP Device on WindowsXP
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2008 15:52:30 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

I don't know if the devel-ml is the right place for that, but as posting in various forums didn't give me any answeres that helped me so far, I'll give it a try here.

My objective: I need to have a Debian (Linux 2.4.x) running on a VM (Qemu)
emulating a PPC architecture on a WindowsXP host.

My Problem: I can't connect to the TAP interface, and thus can't connect to
the internet to complete the debian installation.

I'm starting Qemu with the following .bat file:
REM Start qemu on windows.
@ECHO OFF

REM SDL_VIDEODRIVER=directx is faster than windib. But keyboard cannot work well.
SET SDL_VIDEODRIVER=windib

REM SDL_AUDIODRIVER=waveout or dsound can be used. Only if QEMU_AUDIO_DRV=sdl.
SET SDL_AUDIODRIVER=dsound

REM QEMU_AUDIO_DRV=dsound or fmod or sdl or none can be used. See qemu -audio-help.
SET QEMU_AUDIO_DRV=dsound

REM QEMU_AUDIO_LOG_TO_MONITOR=1 displays log messages in QEMU monitor.
SET QEMU_AUDIO_LOG_TO_MONITOR=0

qemu-system-ppc.exe -L . -hda hda.img -net nic,vlan=0,macaddr= -net tap,vlan=0,ifname=tap0 -localtime -m 256 -kernel zImage.prep -fda debian_install_root.bin -M prep

Everything runs smoothly until it should connect to the internet. I tried to set
it up like this ("tap0" is the TAP device and "wlan" the device that connects the
winXP to the router):

Qemu/Debian, fixed (192.168.0.40 / 255.255.255.0)
  \--> tap0, fixed (192.168.0.1 / 255.255.255.0)
        \--> wlan, dhcp (192.168.2.101 / 255.255.255.0)
              \--> router, dhcp (192.168.2.1 / 255.255.255.0)

I've enabled the wlan device's ICS (internet connection sharing) for the tap0
and I've installed the "windows client for networks" for tap0. I rebooted several
times.

The situation:
In the windows taskbar the tap shows up being connected and there are packets being
received from qemu-side, but not from the other.
From the debian (netinstall) I can ping to 192.168.0.40, any other IP doesn't give a
responce (not even a "client not reachable"). From Windows I can ping the tap0
(192.168.0.1) but 192.168.0.40 is reaches the timelimit.

For this installation mainly I followed these instructions:
http://www.overselfresearch.com/kb/qemu.html
http://www.h7.dion.ne.jp/~qemu-win/TapWin32-en.html
http://www.mlaureano.org/guias-e-tutoriais/configuracao-de-rede-qemu-e-windows/

To generate an .img I installed first Qemu-0.9.1 from
http://www1.interq.or.jp/~t-takeda/qemu/qemu-0.9.1-windows.zip

I used the created hda.img, the debian-install-root.bin and
the zImage.prep file from this link (version Qemu 0.9.0)
http://www.h6.dion.ne.jp/~kazuw/qemu-win/qemu-0.9.0-ppc.zip
for the Qemu 0.9.1 version (but tried it with the other versions,
too, already - same result).

I installed the tap from the OpenVPN package version 2.1 (tried the
2.0, too):
http://openvpn.net/release/openvpn-2.1_rc7-install.exe

Since I need to have Qemu running as soon as even possible this problem is very
frustrating. I already tried older versions, several other tutorials, gave the same IP
for Debian as for the TAP which gave IP conflicts so I think it should already be connected.

What scares me is that, although I can set up an IP at debian, it's not able to ping the TAP, shouldn't the TAP driver do that work automatically to connect the /dev/eth0 to the virtual TAP hardware (if the terms are correct)?

I'd like to know if that's perhaps a software issue and in any case what I can do to get qemu connected to the net?

I really apreciate any helping answer, link or suggestion I still haven't tried!!! Thanks in advance!!!!

Best regards,