qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Signal handling and qcow2 image corruption

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Signal handling and qcow2 image corruption
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 15:55:17 -0600

David Barrett wrote:
I'm tracking down a image corruption issue and I'm curious if you can answer the following:

1) Is there any difference between sending a "TERM" signal to the QEMU process and typing "quit" at the monitor?

Yes. Since QEMU is single threaded, when you issue a quit, you know you aren't in the middle of writing qcow2 meta data to disk.

2) Will sending TERM corrupt the 'gcow2' image (in ways other than normal guest OS dirty shutdown)?

Possibly, yes.

3) Assuming I always start QEMU using "-loadvm", is there any risk in using 'kill' to send SIGTERM to the QMEU process when done?

Yes.  If you want to SIGTERM QEMU, the safest thing to do is use -snapshot.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori