qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Making qemu use 10.0.3.x not 10.0.2.x

From: Asheesh Laroia
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Making qemu use 10.0.3.x not 10.0.2.x
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 14:24:42 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008, Jernej Simončič wrote:

On Tuesday, February 5, 2008, 22:34:04, Asheesh Laroia wrote:

I agree with this - guesswork and invisible options can be confusing. That's why I suggest what I think is the simplest solution: Just let this be overridable on the command line.

Isn't the user-net IP irrelevant to the outside? AFAIK, it just causes Qemu to act as a normal TCP/IP client to the OS it's running on, and the guest OS simply can't accept incoming connections (nobody actually knows that the program issuing the connections is actually hosting an OS inside).

The problem I stated in the original message in the thread <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2008-02/msg00109.html> is that I want to connect from the *guest* to the *host*. Since the host and the guest are on the same subnet, only inside the guest the subnet is fake, the guest cannot e.g. ssh to the host.

So I patched qemu so that the guest would have a different internal IP range, and then the guest can e.g. ssh to the host.

I hope that clears things up. Let me know if further clarification is necessary.

-- Asheesh.

--
When a camel flies, no one laughs if it doesn't get very far!