qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Merging KVM QEMU changes upstream

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Merging KVM QEMU changes upstream
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 11:53:50 -0600

Hi,

As most probably know, the KVM project has been maintaining a QEMU tree for some time now. Beyond support for the KVM kernel interface, the tree also contains a number of useful features like live migration, virtio, and extboot. Some of these things have been posted to qemu-devel already but were not included.

I would like to work on merging the KVM changes into upstream QEMU but before I started that work, I wanted to get a read on how difficult it would be. A lot of these things were designed specifically for KVM on x86. Only now are other architectures starting to be considered. Certainly, cross-architecture emulation hasn't really been considered.

I wouldn't expect anything to be merged that caused a regression for cross-architecture emulation, but I don't really have the time to get a lot of the new features working for the cross-architecture case. I would expect, though, that if these things were merged, it would make it relatively easy for someone else to do that though.

Is this a reasonable merge strategy? We won't introduce regressions but I can't guarantee these new things will work cross-architecture.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori