qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Configuring qemu on Solaris

From: Ben Taylor
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Configuring qemu on Solaris
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 2:01:30 -0500

---- "Andreas Färber" <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The following part of configure is triggered on a fully-updated
> Solaris 10 8/07 amd64:
>
> #
> # Solaris specific configure tool chain decisions
> #
> if test "$solaris" = "yes" ; then
>    #
>    # gcc for solaris 10/fcs in /usr/sfw/bin doesn't compile qemu
> correctly
>    # override the check with --disable-gcc-check
>    #
>    if test "$solarisrev" -eq 10 -a "$check_gcc" = "yes" ; then
>      solgcc=`which $cc`
>      if test "$solgcc" = "/usr/sfw/bin/gcc" ; then
>        echo "Solaris 10/FCS gcc in /usr/sfw/bin will not compiled qemu
> correctly."
>        echo "please get gcc-3.4.3 or later, from www.blastwave.org
> using pkg-get -i gcc3"
>        echo "or get the latest patch from SunSolve for gcc"
>        exit 1
>      fi
>    fi
>
> Depending on the path of gcc, configure bails out. The text appears to
> indicate that "the latest patch [...] for gcc", whichever that may be,
> fixes some compilation issue.

Early in Solaris 10 (perhaps pre-FCS, I don't recall it's been so long),
/usr/sfw/bin/gcc on Solaris would not properly compile QEMU.

The problem either was silently fixed (though I doubt that since I can't
find any reference to a fix), or something in the QEMU source that
was causing the error stopped causing the error.

> Since the script does not try to detect the presence of such a patch,
> can we remove the exit and keep the text as a warning only?

I'd be ok with that.   I'll submit another patch with an updated
README for Solaris, since there are multiple issues around
the gcc's available for Solaris (sfw, blastwave, sunfreeware)

> Or can someone comment on what the corresponding Solaris patch id or
> gcc version is in order to make this conditional? The system gcc
> version is 3.4.3 here and it appears to compile fine.

Let's take out the exit.  I would prefer to make Solaris depend on
/usr/sfw/bin/gcc since blastwave can only compile 32-bit (and
not 64-bit because that wasn't enabled), and sunfreeware can't
even compile it (I think it's configured to use Solaris as, and not
gas).

Ben