qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] qemu networking help

From: Ryan W Smith
Subject: [Qemu-devel] qemu networking help
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 02:40:16 -0600

I'm currently working on a project where we're using qemu to trace information flow through the operating system. One of the things that we'd like to do is trace network data as it flows through the operating system. I've been reading through the code, and I've gotten a bit lost. I gather that slirp is where data comes and goes from the host operating system, but I'm looking for the section of code that sends and receives data from the guest operating system. I read through the network device code (ne2000.c), and my guess is that the inb and outb functions are used to transfer data to the guest, but I'm not quite certain how that is done. Is there anything that anyone can point me to that would explain the process of getting data from the networking device to the guest operating system? Also, is there anything that explains the ne2k networking device a little more, and could explain what all the registers are and how to use them? Thanks in advance for any help you may offer.

-Ryan