qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: Online image backup

From: Matteo Bertini
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: Online image backup
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 11:38:42 +0100

Il 21-11-2007 0:02, Fabrice Bellard ha scritto:
> Matteo Bertini wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> is there any support for an online image backup? Or some direction to
>> have it?
>>
>> Imagine I have an emulated server. How can I make an online backup of
>> the server state?
>>
>> If I'm right in the actual design this is very hard.
>>
>> Or there are some image internals update rules that permit a consistent
>> copy possible?
>
> It should not be difficult provided the VM is using the QEMU qcow2 image
> format (doing a backup can be seen as a kind of snapshot).

I have tested that is quite hard to corrupt an image, even copying
during a savevm, at least the last completely saved one is loadvm-able.
And that is good, but I didn't really undestand what appends at
filesystem level...

Am I somewhat granted that after a savevm and a copy (online) the image
is loadvm-able and the filesystem is back to the last saved state?

Thank you,
Matteo Bertini