qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Hardware virtualization with QEMU

From: Philipp Gühring
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Hardware virtualization with QEMU
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 09:34:45 +0100

Hi,

> My questions are as follows:
> 1) I know -hdc and -cdrom cannot be called at the same time, but i have
> no luck getting an image to be mounted with -hdb or -hdd.

For -cdrom you need ISO images.
For -hd[a-d] you need harddisk-images, which are done like this
dd id=/dev/hda of=myimage.img
qemu -hda myimage.img

You can´t dd a directory. You could mkisofs a directory or you could use the
Samba sharing to hand over a directory.

> The same image
> I can successfully mount with -cdrom cannot be mounted with either -hdb
> or -hdd,

Then it´s likely an ISO image, and not a harddisk image.

> What's up there. I could not figure out from the manuals if
> these should just be dd'ed images a directory or iso?

You have to dd a whole harddisk (not just a partition)

> 2) Are floppy images restricted to exactly 1.44MB created with dd? I
> cannot mount anything with the floppy switches either which is probably
> a size constraint I dont meet.

I don´t know.

> 4) What is the attainable USB speed? Full USB-1 ?

I think speed is something virtual at that point, but I am not sure.

> 5) Are the serial and parallel ports running at native speed without
> delays?

You will always have delays in full-system emulation systems like Qemu. How
large those are depends on a lot of factors, so you should measure it
yourself, I guess.

Best regards,
Philipp Gühring