qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] ppc64 host support

From: Heikki Lindholm
Subject: [Qemu-devel] ppc64 host support
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 17:54:05 +0200

Hello,
I wrote a patch to add ppc64 host support somewhere in 2006 in posted it on this list, too. I haven't worked on it much since, but updated it now to the current CVS. The working status still seems to be "mostly works, but unusable because of random crashes." The crashes happen when trying to boot a complex OS, say debian boot cd: it boots up to some point, occasionally even up to "language select" and crashes in some pretty random way, usually a guest segfault followed by an oops. I'm quite clueless where to look since sometimes things work and sometimes don't. Am I missing some ppc64 cache subtlety or what could this be? How could I create a test guest that is more deterministic than a linux install cd or such. FreeDOS, of course, works fine, but for example Duke Nukem in FreeDOS doesn't. I'd appreciate any tips/pointers how to get forward.

-- Heikki Lindholm