qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu Questions

From: Jonathan Kalbfeld
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu Questions
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 18:06:14 -0800

Apologizing is a sign of weakness.  That's one of the rules on NCIS.

On 11/9/07, address@hidden < address@hidden> wrote:
I must apologize for subscribing to this list, but the Qemu users list
is dead, sop this is my only option.
I understand it is a development list, but I would appreciate some help.

I will make it concise.

1) What is the best Distro to run Qemu on with the least hassles?
FYI, I now run it on FC7, but it is a lot of trouble. kqemu refuses to
work on FC7 on a v20z Sun dual cpu dual core rack server
XEN just completely doesnt load even though  the Kernel is XEN, but at
least qemu works with the following Caveat;
"Could not open '/dev/kqemu' - QEMU acceleration layer not activated"

1/ I absolutely love it on Solaris.  Mainly because I am a Solaris bigot.  Barring that it should run relatively uniformly on different Linuxi.

2)  Does an activated QEMU acceleration layer (missing above)  make a
huge difference?

Yep.  Seems to be about 5x faster on my 1.6Ghz celeron laptop.

3) I have several operating systems successfully loaded in Qemu
sessions, but networking is just not working. I worked through loads of
FAQs from the net, but to no avail.

Try adding -net nic,model=rtl8139 -net user

Use DHCP if you can.

4) Finally is there a preferred distro which is known to solve all the
problems mentioned above?

Surely you can't be serious. :)  (Yes, I know, don't call you Shirley)

Thanks.

Jonathan Kalbfeld
ThoughtWave Technologies LLC
www.thoughtwave.com