qemu-devel

Re: merge GGI support? [was: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] CRIS target port]

From: Daniel P. Berrange
Subject: Re: merge GGI support? [was: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] CRIS target port]
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 15:16:42 +0100

On Wed, Oct 03, 2007 at 08:59:47AM -0500, Anthony Liguori wrote:
> andrzej zaborowski wrote:
> >Hi,
> >

> >>If the only argument for adding GGI is so that you don't have to install
> >>libsdl, then does that mean that we should have an X11, fbdev, etc.
> >>backend for people who don't have GGI installed?
> >>

> >I think a GGI back-end would be useful.
> >
> >I wouldn't mind also having other back-ends even if SDL supports them
> >(e.g. there's an Xlib patch for qemu, it is very little code compared
> >to vnc.c which you could say duplicates code already present in
> >libraries). The situation is the same with audio backends: there's
> >oss, alsa and SDL which can do both oss and alsa but works poorly.
> >
> >Unrelated to this discussion on slow links VNC is much more usable
> >with the Xlib patch and Xvnc than through the built-in VNC (I think it
> >makes a better decision on what format to use based on the connection
> >speed).
>
> It's probably just the lack of a compressed encoding.

There are various optimizations to the VNC server in QEMU Uthat the
Xen project did in their fork. On my infinite todo list is an note to
take a look at these & see if its worth posting them here for merge.
At least one of the changes was to reduce the number of FB updates
sent to the client under some circumstances.

Dan.