qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Mips guest

From: Johannes Schindelin
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Mips guest
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 10:43:04 +0100 (BST)

Hi,

On Wed, 19 Sep 2007, Nigel Horne wrote:

> The latest CVS snapshot has broken MIPS emulation.
>
> [...]
>
> Then it hangs.
>
> The last time I tried this guest was a couple of weeks ago, or so, and
> all was fine then.

It would be so good if you could bisect this.

If you have git, clone qemu from git://git.kernel.dk/data/git/qemu.git,
and use something "git log" to identify a commit that is likely to be
good.  The easiest way to proceed is then to copy the commit name (this
40-character hex string), and use it in

        git bisect start
        git bisect good <that-string>
        git bisect bad HEAD

It will find the middle point between the two, which you should compile
and test.  Depending on the outcome of the test, you should mark the
current commit as "git bisect good" or "git bisect bad" (you do not need
to say which commit, if it is the current you mean).

Eventually, this procedure will give you the bad commit, which then makes
it easier to see what actually broke the MIPS guest for you.

Thanks,
Dscho