qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] RFE + kqemu issue

From: Jaroslaw Gorny
Subject: [Qemu-devel] RFE + kqemu issue
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 23:58:50 +0200

Hi,

I experience a roblem when running qemu on Fedora 7.
I've got CentOS5 installed as a qemu image. When I boot guest OS _without_
kqemu module - it works.
But when booting with kqemu _loaded_ - guest system hangs on early stage (just
after loading initrd.img).

software versions:
* qemu-0.9.0-2.fc7
* dkms-kqemu-1.3.0-0.2.pre11
* kernel-2.6.22.1-41.fc7

and second thing: RFE

a)
On startup qemu says that I should do:
"echo 1024 > /proc/sys/dev/rtc/max-user-freq". I can't because I don't have
*rtc in /proc (there's "/proc/sys/dev/hpet" dir instead).
Setting max-user-freq there doesn't stop qemu from complaining.
I think qemu should check this _both_ entries.

b)
suggested by Till Maas:

qemu puts such a message:

"Could not configure '/dev/rtc' to have a 1024 Hz timer. This is not a fatal
error, but for better emulation accuracy either use a 2.6 host Linux kernel
or type 'echo 1024 > /proc/sys/dev/rtc/max-user-freq' as root."

The suggestion is that qemu should check kernel version and base this message
on results.

(I'm not subscribed, so please e-mail me directly)
thanks,

--
Jaroslaw Gorny