qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] PATCH 0/8: Authentication support for the VNC server

From: Daniel P. Berrange
Subject: [Qemu-devel] PATCH 0/8: Authentication support for the VNC server
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 20:23:16 +0100

The current VNC server implementation does not have support for the
authentication of incoming client connections. The following series
of patches provide support for a number of alternatives, all compliant
with the VNC protocol spec. The simplest mechanism (and the weakest)
is the traditional VNC password scheme based on weak d3des hashing of
an 8 byte key. The more serious mechanism uses TLS for data encryption
of the entire session, and x509 certificates for both client and server
authentication.

The patches are an iteration on the previous work I posted a couple of
months ago[1]. They are now functionally complete, better tested,
split up into a patch series for easier review, and their use fully
documented. Since TLS can be quite perplexing, I also included some
documentation on how to setup a CA, and issue client & server certs
in a manner suitable for use with the VNC server.

For the basic VNC password auth, this patch should be compatible with
any standard VNC client such as RealVNC. The TLS based auth schemes
require a client that implements the VeNCrypt extension[2]. The client
from the VeNCrypt[3] project of course is one example. The GTK-VNC[4]
widget which is used by Virt Manager[5] and Vinagre [6] also support
it, and are my primary testing platform.

The 8 individual patches will follow shortly in replies to this mail.

Regards,
Dan.

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg08616.html
[2] http://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg08681.html