qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] IBM makes AIX 6 beta available for download for everyon

From: Brian Wheeler
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] IBM makes AIX 6 beta available for download for everyone
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 09:59:00 -0400

On Wed, 2007-07-18 at 09:15 +0100, Natalia Portillo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> AIX was already tested in QEMU and is not that it does not understand
> the AIX boot format (it does!), just there is another problem that
> prevents OHW from working (some say there is a regression in the IDE
> controller code).
>
> http://www.claunia.com/qemu/
>
> Regards
> Natalia Portillo

AIX 4.3.3 starts to boot (well, further than 5.1 & 5.2 do)

The serial console has:
-------------------------
Probe filesystem on unknown PREP partition 'PREP boot' (bootable) 5834080
Fix bootfile
Partition is bootable (1)
bd_set_boot_part: part 5834080 (0) 1
Boot partition: 5834080 582e400 582e400 0
ERROR: Found boot partition : 5834080 582e400
ERROR: Not a MACH-O file
ERROR: Not an Apple CHRP boot file !
dest 100000 entry 00000230 => 100230
Load raw file into memory at 100000 3307448 (003277b8) 0 (00000000)
Boot: 30040000 b8773200 00024149 5820234
Bootinfos at : 500000

Now boot it... (0)
stack: 5bfff80 malloc_base: 0 0x58000000 0x06000000
PREP boot... 100230 100000

The graphic console has some messages (which I assume are the ones above) and
then it goes blank.
It may still be doing something, I'll just wait for a while and see.

Both 5.1 and 5.2 complain about the return code from the ide controller
ERROR: ATAPI READ12 : status 41 != 0x48

(ready | error ) != ( ready | drq)

It looks like open hack'ware is pretty much stalled, so its hard telling
what progress will be made futurewise.

Brian