qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Sparc32 network problems

From: Andreas Färber
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Sparc32 network problems
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 22:45:33 +0200

Hi,

> Using Q 0.9.0d88 on a Mac OS X i386 host I was able to boot into
> debian-40r0-sparc-netinst.iso with qemu-system-sparc, have the NIC
> configured through DHCP and install to about 73% where I repeatedly
> got a kernel panic "Aiee".

I should add that when I tried the interrupt checking patch proposed
on this list (http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2007-03/
msg00153.html) then instead of the kernel panic I got a qemu crash.

Would this happen to be the same bug as in this report:
http://marc.info/?l=qemu-devel&m=117768736212439&w=2

Yes, a similar one, except that the kernel panic did somehow mention the code I quoted above.

I have seen it both in 0.9.0 and in 0.9.0 + HEAD openbios-sparc32 on OS X Intel. But I am unable to try CVS HEAD there because some of Q's patches do not work against HEAD. Would be great if they could make it into CVS to avoid these issues.

I also made some local changes to tcx.c today to avoid having a blue- footed penguin on Intel. There's a TODO in that file saying the RGB functions should be merged with vga.c (where they are being patched by Q) - should I provide a qemu patch doing this and fixing the issue for both? Or is this for some reason restricted to Q?

On PPC I wasn't able to follow an identical installation path and the point of error on Intel was pretty much reproducable, so I can't tell whether it would have surfaced later on. From my view these are two separate issues, and for now I can only test the network issue on ppc - unless someone has instructions how to correctly patch HEAD for Intel support...

Andreas