qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Detecting an assembly instruction in QEMU

From: Eduardo Felipe
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Detecting an assembly instruction in QEMU
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 12:16:29 +0200

I think I could not explain my question regarding "addl %ebx, (%eax)". What I wanted to ask was that this instruction also accesses the memory and I also need to intercept it within a transaction. Incase of "addl %ebx, (%eax)", Are the functions under "/* CPU memory access without any memory or io remapping */" called in case of this instruction.

Yes. Just look how the instruction is translated into opcodes and you'll see how it works. You can use the -d switch for this.

Secondly, there is a function in "exec.c" called "cpu_physical_memory_rw". Is it easier to hack into this fuction to intercept the memory references.

That function is used by emulated hardware devices to interact with memory ( e.g. DMA to write and read memory chunks). Translated guest code does not use it.

Regards,
Eduardo